Posts Tagged ‘ Drum ’

My First Real Shell

Ok, Today I took out my first real shell. IT turned out pretty good, it’s all glued together no ripples or anything. BUT I tried to make a 5.5″ shel;, the laminated plys moved in the mould, making it all strange, If I do decide to use it properly I will have to cut it down, probably to about a 4″ shell. Also the Seams are nowhere near perfect.

The issues I can work on fixing, but this is a very good step in the right direction. I know for the seams I just have to measure more carefully and try to get it to fit perfect before I glue it all up. The moving of the plys is something I have to look into to see how I can overcome that.

Here are some pics.  It is a 14″x 5.5″ (kinda) 10PLY american Walnut snare shell.

Advertisements

Success

OK, so I have got the plys to get press completely flat. What I ended up doing was applying glue to both the Horizontal and vertical leaves of veneer. Then when I clamped the MDF together I put a long 90×35 flat on the top and bottom and clamped to that.  The glue was also applied thinly.

I put a few into the shell mould last night, but that wasn’t a success. The plys were boned nice and tight, but the seams were awful. That is something that I really need to work on.

The Mould Begins.

OK so I have started to Build the mould. Well actually I have finished it but for this post i will show you how I constructed it.

First of i got 4 sheets of MDF approx 18” x 18” which I then Constructed a Circle Jig to cut out circles. After I cut out the circles i used some bendyply to make sure they all aligned and then glued up the mould. After this step I then proceeded to glue the Bendy Ply to the mould.

I made a mistake here by not cutting the sheets of MDF exact, and having the circle in the exact middle, as I wanted to attach Hinges and a lock type thing on the front for easy opening, but proved impossible with the way I layed out the sheets. I have overcome this by purchasing some 750mm long clamps and clamp it all up.  so i cut this baby in half and clamped it back together. The reason for cutting it in half is so that I can easily remove the shell once completed. also to compensate for the material the blade takes away i put a 1.2mm piece of plywood in between the two halves.

On a side note I made the mould 14×9 but one of the MDF circles was slightly out of round, which means the usable area is more like 5″ or 6″ deep. not a big deal as I plan on re-doing the mould later.

%d bloggers like this: