Posts Tagged ‘ Blackbutt ’

14×6 10ply blackbutt

This just came hot out the mould, about 6 weeks ago. Been real busy so updates on the blog are small. all she needs is to be cut down, finished and drilled. Thinking of a natural finish – high gloss (still need to finish the shell from VC from christmas)

This is a 14×6 (well will be once cut down) 10ply all blackbutt, It probably has the best seams I have done on any drum to date.

The Hoops

Ok, So here are the hoops that I have from Metro Drums (check them out, their work is amazing http://www.metrodrums.com/ ) Most of these Pictures are of them unfinished however they have been wet sanded (with tung oil) to 1200 grit, and are looking smooth and good. When they are done I will take some more pictures and Show the final product. They are a Blackbutt and Jarrah Hybrid hoop

A finish

I have started/finished finishing the jarrah outer ply shell. I have started on and identical shell but opposite. its just using shellac based products, I will probably put a wax on top of this shell to give it a harder finish as I don’t think this is going to protect it that well.

Drum Contest

Ok, so I am entering a drum contest. AT http://www.dfdrumtech.com (drumfoundry’s forum)

The shell below is what I am thinking of entering, also I have been making another shell that has blackbutt on the outer plys, this may become the shell not sure yet, what ever looks better with the hoops.

Im planning on keeping my tutorials going with how to laminated veneer together. and Im trying to work out a better pressure system for the molds, will let you know when its all going good.

one shell out of the mould

OK, the first shell is out. I have started to cut it down and think about finish it. It is a jarrah and blackbutt Hybrid. 2 Ply jarrah, 2 Ply blackbutt 2 ply jarrah 3 ply blackbutt making the grand total 9 ply. it is now cut down to a 5.5 shell but some issues with the shell were found so i may have to cut it down to a 5″ or 4.5. I am now working on another shell of the same type as i have some hoops from Metro Drums being made, which I’m getting excited about.

One Failed Shell

So the first shell out of the mould failed, it was good. except for the seam, but I learnt from this. I know to apply more glue than I did at the seams. The shell was going to be a 6plyBlackbutt 6Ply Jarrah Hybrid.

here are some pictures, I also have a shell that just came out, when I clean it up a bit I will post pictures.

%d bloggers like this: